My romance with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine continues. This is not any traditional Mediterranean recipe (so purists, please don’t get on my case) but I clearly used Mediterranean flavors in this roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad. I added Harissa powder, Za’atar powder, fresh garlic, pomegranate syrup and feta cheese and this is a combination of flavors taken straight out of the Mediterranean region – it could be Lebanese, Israeli, Moroccan, Turkish or Palestinian! Also the addition of dry Apricots and Pine nuts speaks to its Mediterranean influences. I had it by itself as a warm light salad for lunch but it could well be served as a cold salad or as a side dish with any grilled meat or fish.
1. 1 Lb Brussels Sprouts
2. 2 Shallots
3. 2 cloves of fresh garlic
4. 4-5 ounces of fresh feta
5. 1-1.5 tablespoons of Za’atar spice powder
6. ½ tablespoon of Harissa powder
7. Salt and fresh pepper to taste
8. ½ teaspoon of red chili flakes (optional)
9. 1 tablespoon honey
10. 1.5 tablespoons of Pomegranate syrup
11. 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
12. 12-14 dried apricots
13. 2 tablespoons of roasted pine nuts
14. Juice of one lime
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut the brown ends of the Brussels Sprouts off and then slice the sprouts into halves (small ones can be kept whole).
3. Place the Cut Brussels Sprouts on a large baking sheet and sprinkle one tablespoon of olive oil on them. Spread the olive oil evenly all over the sprouts and then place the sprouts to be roasted in the oven for 15 minutes or so (less if your oven tends to get over-heated).
9. Take the roasted Brussels Sprouts (they should look lightly browned) out of the oven and while they are still hot, sprinkle the Za’atar powder, Harissa powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes over them and stir everything thoroughly.
10. Place the roasted Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl.
11. Add the shallot, garlic, apricots and pine nuts to the mixing bowl.
12. Also add cubed Feta cheese to the mixing bowl.
13. Make a dressing by combining the following ingredients in a small bowl – Juice of one lime, pomegranate syrup and honey.