People love to make jokes about how bland and tasteless tofu can be but somehow I love it! It reminds me of the texture of Paneer (the Indian equivalent of Farmer’s cheese) and I can eat it without having to deal with any of the guilt associated with eating Paneer (since Paneer is 100% milk fat!). And if I can find organic tofu, I fly totally guilt-free. Recently I discovered that I have an issue with elevated levels of triglycerides and so I have been trying to VERY healthy and tofu is great because it gives me good quality protein and I don’t have to worry about the high fat associated with meat products. Tofu also has a high content of fiber and in this recipe I combined it with avocado, bell peppers and watercress – I got a very vibrant looking colorful salad which was tasty, healthy and it kept me feeling full for a long time!
1. 4-6 ounces of firm organic tofu
2. Two ripe Avocados
3. One red bell pepper
4. One yellow bell pepper
5. One head of watercress (about a cup of leaves)
6. One tablespoon of white sesame seeds
7. One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
8. One tablespoon of honey
9. Juice of one fresh lemon
10. One tablespoon of chopped cilantro leaves
11. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the firm tofu in small bit sized cubes
2. Peel the avocados and cut the flesh in bite sized cubes
3. Wash the bell peppers and cut them in bite sized slivers
4. Wash the watercress leaves and chop their stems off
5. Wash and chop the cilantro leaves.
7. Place the avocado pieces, tofu pieces and bell peppers in a bowl and sprinkle freshly grated pepper and salt over them and then pour the salad dressing over them and toss them gently (try not to crush the avocado or tofu pieces.
8. In a serving plate, place the watercress leaves at the bottom and then over them add the dressed salad from the bowl.
9. Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves and sesame seeds on top and serve the salad immediately.