Spicy Jalapeno and Fruit Salad
I once ate a Peach Jalapeno salad at Zingerman’s in Ann Arbor, Michigan (http://www.zingermansdeli.com/) and ever since then I have been in love with the combination of fresh fruit with Jalapeno peppers. Yes, I know it sounds like an odd combination, take my word for it, most kinds of fresh fruit with spicy Jalapeno really well. I like to use this salad as a side dish with any kind of grilled meat. If you chop the fruit up finely, the resultant relish is also good on any grilled fish or shrimp. You can use any sweet ripe summer fruits like nectarines, plums, peaches, cherries (take the pit out), strawberries or mangoes. This time that I made it for the blog, I used peaches, mangoes and blackberries. The colors of the fruit make the dish really appetizing and the taste is simply magnificent!
1. 3-4 ripe peaches
2. One ripe mango
3. 15-20 ripe blackberries
4. 1.5-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5. 1.5-2 tablespoons of good quality Balsamic vinegar
6. 1 tablespoon sugar (or use honey)
7. One Jalapeno pepper
8. 1 teaspoon of sea salt
1. Wash the fruit in cold water and pat everything dry with paper towels.
2. Chop the peaches in bite sized pieces (remove the pit) and place in a large bowl
3. Peel the mango and chop the flesh up in small bite sized pieces (remove the pit) and place in the bowl next to the peaches.
4. Also, place the washed blackberries in the bowl.
5. Cut the Jalapeno pepper lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins out of the center (unless you want it REALLY spicy) and chop the flesh of the pepper into small bite sized pieces.
6. To make the dressing, combine the sugar (or honey) balsamic vinegar, salt and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk everything until the oil and the vinegar get emulsified.
7. Pour the dressing over the fruit and gently toss the salad.
8. Serve this salad after you chill it in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Yaieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thats the only wrd for this recipe Shabnam and would you suggest anything other than peach and blackberries to combo with mango for the Delhi summer ? Will deffo do this :))))))))))))))))))
Hi Deepthi – glad you like the recipe – it would be great for Delhi heat. We had 100F temp in DC yesterday and this salad was my lunch – worked perfectly! You could use any sweet fleshy fruit like strawberries, plums, nectarines or ripe pears. Let me know it turns out.
Absolutely beautiful. Happy Healthy Cinco de Mayo!
Thanks Linda 🙂 Happy Cinco de Mayo to you tooooooo!!!!