Power Punch Salad
If you are trying to lower your carb intake and yet eat foods that satiate your cravings for a filling meal, this salad is for you. While this dish is tasty and filling, it also packs a real power punch because it is loaded with protein from lentils, Edamame and firm tofu. Additionally it is easy to make and it is vegetarian – so a win-win through and through!
1. 6 pickled Peppadew (available at Whole Foods)
2. One cup of lentils
3. One cup of frozen blanched and shelled Edamame
4. 2-3 ounces of extra firm tofu
5. 3-4 spring onions
6. One small shallot of red onion
7. Juice of one fresh lemon
8. Salt and pepper to taste
9. One tablespoon of honey
10. 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
11. One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash the lentils and boil them in 2-3 cups of water over low heat. Add a little bit of salt to the boiling water.
2. When the lentils are soft and cooked (usually takes 30-14 minutes over low heat) drain any remaining water and let them cool down to room temperature.
3. Wash the frozen Edamame seeds under a stream of warm water till they are thawed and then pat them dry with a paper towel.
4. Thinly slice the Peppadew into slivers.
5. Finely chop the spring onions, shallot and cilantro.
6. Chop the extra firm tofu into small bit-sized cubes.
7. In a large mixing bowl, add the cooled lentils, Edamame, chopped spring onion, shallot, cilantro and Peppadew and gently mixed the contents.
8. Prepare the salad dressing by whisking together olive oil, juice of a lemon, honey, salt and pepper and pour over the contents of the mixing bowl.
9. Mix thoroughly and serve as a side dish or by itself for a healthy filling lunch.