Easy Sweet Corn and Bean Salad
This is the quickest and best tasting one-dish-meal that I prepare. In the summer when I can get locally produced fresh sweet corn, this is on my table for at least a couple of times every week. It takes very little time to prepare and is nutritionally well balanced. A bowl of this salad is great by itself for a quick lunch or you could use it as a side dish for a BBQ party. The bright colors of the bell peppers and corn contrasted with the black beans make it a feast for the eyes and the belly!
- One 15.5 oz can of Black beans
- Two ears of fresh corn
- One tablespoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- ½ fresh lemon
- ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons of pickled Banana peppers
- ¼ fresh red bell pepper
- ¼ orange bell pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Open the can of black beans and pour the beans into a colander/sieve.
- Wash the beans under a steady stream of cold water and set aside to drain all the water out.
- Shuck the two ears of corn and roast them gently over an open flame for 3-4 minutes (you can also boil the corn in hot water for 5-6 minutes to cook the corn kernels.
- With a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the corn cob and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Dice bell peppers and the pickled peppers into small pieces and mix with the corn kernels in the mixing bowl.
- Also chopped cilantro leaves and the drained black beans to the mixing bowl.
- Add the juice of half a lemon, sugar and salt to the contents of the mixing bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the olive oil over low heat and add the cumin seeds.
- Let the cumin seeds cook in the oil for a minute or so (till you smell the roasted cumin smell).
- Add the red chili flakes to the oil and turn the heat off.
- Add the oil, cumin and chili flakes to the mixing bowl and mix the contents thoroughly.
- Taste the salad and adjust for the balance of sweet, sour and savory according to your preference.
- Serve the salad at room temperature or chilled.
Hi Shabnam!! I saw Simmy’s tweet about your blog and just HAD to come by and check it out. I’m so excited to try some of your recipes. I LOVE the photographs and how well you demonstrate and explain each step. :0)
Hi Sharon! I am so happy that you like my blog! If you try anything, could you please send me some feedback…also if you don’t mind – would you be willing to share the link with your friends and family? I hope all is well with you all!!! do you still go to Peabody? I miss those days…Sim’s in college already and my son will leave this fall!!!! best wishes!
Ooops, Sharon I forgot to mention that I have a facebook page for the blog – FlavorNspice and if you “like” it, you can get regular updates on whatever I post next 🙂
sounds delicious! I make a salad with black beans, cucumber, tomatoes and peppers, seasoned with just lemon juice, salt and pepper – sometimes a little jalapeño and of course tons of cilantro. I will try adding the roasted corn and doing a little tadka.
Do try this one Shilpa – I love it because of the sweet-and-sour balance in it that comes from the sweet corn, sugar and the tartness from the lemon juice and the pickled peppers! And it takes 5 minutes to make – which is always a great incentive for me 🙂
This looks easy and inviting! Yum
Hi Lakshmi – it IS super easy!!! Try it 🙂