Warm Artichoke Spread
I love this spread over warm crunchy crostini made from fresh chewy bread for a light lunch or with water crackers as an appetizer at dinner parties. Like most people, I like artichokes but I don’t enjoy the cumbersome process of cutting and cooking fresh artichokes, so I use canned ones for this recipe – they work wonderfully well in this spread.
1. One can of artichoke hearts
2. Half cup of jarred mayonnaise
3. Half a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
4. One whole egg
5. Two tablespoons of light whipping cream or milk.
6. Two medium cloves of garlic
7. Half teaspoon of fresh black pepper
8. Half teaspoon of dry oregano
9. One teaspoon of lemon juice.
1. Preheat the oven at 325 degrees F.
2. Drain the liquid out of the can of artichoke hearts and using your hands, squeeze out all the liquid from the artichoke hearts and separate out all the layers of the artichokes and set them aside.
3. Whisk the egg yolk and the egg white in a medium sized bowl and then mix the following ingredients: mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, oregano, pepper, cream and the leaves of the artichoke hearts.
4. Mix these ingredients thoroughly and then add the lemon juice.
5. Pour this batter into a shallow baking dish and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (until the top starts to brown).
6. Serve with sliced French bread or with water crackers.
I wish I could subscribe to you by email because I have so many people whose blogs I follow I forget them all. You have some very interesting recipes and can’t wait to try this one!
Oh thank you Teresa – you made me very happy indeed! I haven’t set up any email subscription but I am on Twitter (if you are on that)…let me ask my web designer if he can set me up with an email chain for those that would like to subscribe – I’ll get back to you on this one. Also, if you do try any of my recipes, I would LOVE to know how they turned out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated 🙂