This is a salad I often serve for lunch and it is quite a hit with my vegetarian friends. I have come to realize that not many American households use beets on a regular basis but it is nutritionally a great vegetable (rich in dietary fiber, Iron, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Manganese and Potassium) and it tastes great!
1. Boil the beets in a pot full of water (about 6-8 cups) till they are fork tender
2. When cooled, peel the beets and chop them into small pieces
3. Chop the prunes into small pieces
4. Mince the cloves of garlic on a microplane/grater
5. Make the salad dressing by combining the salt, pepper, minced garlic, honey, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar and whisking the ingredients in a small bowl till the dressing is emulsified.
6. Combine the chopped the beets, prunes and walnuts in a large bowl.
7. Pour the salad dressing over the large bowl and mix thoroughly
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving the salad.