This is a quick vegetarian dish that can be used as a side dish or served as a light meal by itself.
1. Butternut squash (you can buy a packet of fresh cut squash at most stores)
2. Two cloves of garlic
3. One can of chick peas
4. ¼ dried cranberries
5. 1 and ¼ cup water
6. One pack of Near East Couscous
7. 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8. 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar
9. Flat leaf parsley for garnishing
1. Peel and cut the squash – if you did not buy the packet of cut squash.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Spread the cut squash over a baking dish and pour one Tablespoon olive oil and the apple cider vinegar and over it.
4. Peel and cut the two cloves of garlic and mix with the squash.
5. Roast the squash in the oven for 30 minutes or so (until it is fork tender).
6. Open the can of chick peas and drain the liquid out of it and wash the chickpeas under the tap (cold water) to get rid of the excess salt.
7. In a medium sized pot, boil the water and the sachet of spices that comes in the packet of couscous.
8. Add the chick peas and the dried cranberries to the boiling water and stir.
9. Mix in the couscous and stir thoroughly and then turn the heat off and cover the pot with a lid and let it sit for 5-7 minutes.
10. Then open the pot and fluff up the couscous with a fork and mix in the roasted squash to the pot.
11. Serve with a generous sprinkling of flat leaf parsley