This is a quick easy meal that I have often resorted to using when my teenaged kids have unexpectedly brought a whole troupe of their friends without giving me any prior notice. I always have ground beef and puff pastry in my freezer and they are easy to defrost using the microwave and while they are thawing I have the rest of the ingredients ready and VOILA!!!! – within half an hour I can feed a whole gang of hungry kids! I have also used these small hors d’oeuvre-sized turnovers as appetizers for a large party!
Feeds: 5-6, Prep time: 15 min; Cooking time: 15-20 min
1. One pound ground beef
2. One shallot.
3. One Jalapeno pepper
4. One packet of Taco mix
5. A 1/3 of a cup of raisins
6. One pack of frozen puff pastry
7. Two teaspoons cooking oil.
1. If the ground beef is frozen, you can begin to thaw it in the microwave but if it is not frozen you can skip this step.
2. Cut the shallots and the Jalapeno pepper (after removing the seeds from the inside) in very small pieces.
3. Heat a skillet and pour the cooking oil in it.
4. When the oil is sizzling, add the shallots and Jalapeno to the pan.
5. Cook the shallots for2-3 min while stirring frequently.
6. Then add the ground meat and half the packet of the Taco mix.
7. Cook the meat till it is all brown and cooked (till all pink disappears).
8. Continue to stir the pieces and try to avoid leaving large chunks of meat in the skillet.
9. Add the raisins and continue mixing.
10. When the meat is cooked, turn the heat off and allow the mixture to cool a little.
11. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
12. On a large cutting board spread out a sheet of puff pastry and even it out with a rolling pin.
13. Cut square pieces of the puff pastry using a sharp knife.
14. On one side of a square, add a tablespoon or so of the cooked meat mixture and then double the puff pastry to cover the meat.
15. Seal the sides of the pastry with a form by pressing down on each side.
16. Repeat this pattern to make more turnovers.