1. One whole butternut squash
2. One shallot
3. 2-3 cloves of garlic
4. One large leek
5. 32 oz of chicken or vegetable broth
6. One teaspoon of salt (or as per taste)
7. One teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
8. A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
9. One tablespoon of unsalted butter
10. Two tablespoons of olive oil
11. A handful of Pepito seeds for garnishing
1. Heat the oven to 350 degree F.
2. Peel and cut the Butternut squash into cubes (about a square inch each).
3. Place the cut butternut squash pieces on a large baking sheet and pour one tablespoon of olive oil and mix it well so that all the pieces of squash are evenly coated.
4. Roast the squash in the over till it if fork tender (usually takes 20-25 min).
6. In a large pot warm up the tablespoon of butter and when it gets a little brown, add the shallot pieces to it.
7. Stir the shallots constantly and when they are slightly translucent, add the second tablespoon of olive oil, salt, nutmeg powder, garlic and the leeks.
10. Turn the heat down to low and with a handheld blender puree the contents of the pot to a silky smooth consistency.
11. Cook for another minute or two and serve steaming hot with the garnish of pepito seeds on top.